Friday, February 10, 2012

Nerd Alert!!!

Here I sit, mere hours before the official DVD release of the movie “Breaking Dawn Part 1”, and I must sheepishly admit that I’m really excited.  I must also admit, however, that the feminist in me sort of cringes when I say that.  “Why” you ask?  What in the world does a silly vampire movie have to do with feminism – or anti feminism so to speak?  Well let’s discuss, shall we?

Feminism and the vampire novel have not traditionally been “friends”.  At the very crux of sexism in vampire literature is the standard of male vampire and human female – where the vampire is extremely powerful (virtually indestructible), intellectually superior, and so incredibly gorgeous that even the most strong and virtuous victim cannot resist.  If this isn’t a metaphor for male dominance I don’t know what is!  In the old Dracula stories, the female characters are faced with two equally unpleasant alternatives: abandon their initial quasi-independence and accept the status of “victim”, which the men (both supernatural and otherwise) impose upon them; or give in to the seduction of the vampire and gain power – BUT it is power which is represented as sexualized and evil.  In the modern vampire stories i.e. Twilight, human Bella can only choose between relying on vampire Edward or werewolf Jacob to save her from whatever horrible things are happening to her (or are caused by her very human, very female uber weak and clumsy self), or relying on Edward to “allow her” to become a vampire so that she too has access to the power.  And don’t even get me started on Edward's control of Bella's actions and restriction of her choices. Bella's sense of self is so dependent on Edward that his absence in the second book of the series, New Moon, causes her to enter a state of severe depression. Some Twilight critics have even labeled Edward's actions in the series emotional abuse which may be appropriate, but it is also an extension of an attitude towards women that is hardly new.
So why in the world would a “go women” type lady like me be so enthralled with vampire stories and particularly addicted to the Twilight series?  All of the above is not to say that vampire stories are inherently anti-feminist. The power dynamic of male vampire/female human is actually uniquely set up for the possibilities of rebellion and exploration of the nature of power in any male/female relationship. If it is a metaphor for male dominance then it is also a metaphor for the options for women to respond to the power inequity.  And what about Buffy the Vampire Slayer?  Yay!  Go human girl!  Buffy does not always succeed in her battles with vampires, but what is important is that the outcome is not predetermined - she will not inevitably give in to her male opponent's superior strength and power. By the end of the series, Buffy's slaying abilities develop to the point where her once threatening enemies are increasingly represented as annoyances rather than equal opponents.
Inevitably, “Twihards” like myself will point out that Bella has powers; she is a “shield”, meaning that her mind basically blocks any kind of telepathic interference – and that she pretty much saves the day at the end of the series. (Funny though how for most of the series she isn’t really aware of this power – she actually thinks something is wrong with her because Edward can’t hear her mind – and so of course she does not have the ability to choose to use this power until near the end.)
I could go on and on about anti feminism and feminism in vampire stories, particularly Twilight since I am so ridiculously hooked on it, but I fear this is already getting boring and turning into something like a term paper for a Women’s Studies class.  All in all, it is kind of humorous to me that I am such a “Twihard”.  I mean, really, I am 30 something and I have children and responsibilities........but maybe that is exactly why I love Twilight.  While the novels are far from literary masterpieces, I find it so easy to get lost in them, to escape reality, to remember what first all-encompassing love is like, to think back on being an awkward lonely teen who would have given it all to be strong, fast, beautiful – virtually indestructible.  Perhaps I can see a little of myself in Bella.  Perhaps I can’t.  Perhaps I want to – or not.  Well maybe. 
Until later......(((Hugs))) 

No comments:

Post a Comment