Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Getting Back to Simple

Hello blog world!  It has been quite awhile since I've been around here.  I've missed it!  Life has been so crazy since I lost posted...................and that is really the inspiration for this post today.  I've been crazy busy, running around like a chicken with my head cut off, overwhelmed.  I don't need to list off my "to dos", but we'll just say that it is ridiculous.
So........I've been praying and trying hard to listen to The Lord, hoping He will give me some beautiful insight into the chaos.  Lately He keeps saying "simplify" and when I argued with Him, telling Him that I don't know how, that I don't know what I could possibly let go of, that there is just too much to do, He said, "prioritize".  Uhhhhhh.............yea...................
So in my small group, I facilitated an activity that began to look at priorities and values (mighty convenient that I facilitated and didn't actually do it myself eh?  lol)  Then, yesterday morning, during my quiet time, The Lord patted me on the head and said "my darling daughter, please listen to Me.  Please read Luke 10 with new eyes."  And so I did and I began journaling and inspiration just flowed.
In Luke 10:38-42, Jesus comes to a village and Martha opens her home to him. While Martha is busy cooking and cleaning, her sister Mary is hanging out with Jesus, listening to Him teach. It goes on to say that Martha gets a bit annoyed with her sister for not helping and she goes to Jesus to sort of "tattle" on her. Jesus gently challenges Martha, telling her that Mary has made the wiser choice by hanging out with him.
As I was reading I honestly was feeling sorry for Martha. Maybe it is that part of me that is a little Type A and I could see myself in Martha. I could picture myself doing the same thin
gs - cooking and cleaning up a storm and getting frustrated with my family for not helping me. I mean, the world needs Marthas! I don't mean to say that the Marys of the world are lazy or anything, but really, sometimes we just need go-getter types who get stuff done. Martha opens her home and offers what she has to the Lord! At least Martha lets Mary (via a conversation with Jesus) know what she expects of her. She's not just walking around bitter and resentful, slamming pots and pans, rolling her eyes and sighing loudly, being a victim of her own high standards (not that I would know anything at all about that ;-/). At least Martha knows exactly who to go to when her expectations are not being met. There's no better listener than Jesus! Martha's heart is in the right place .................... sort of.
Here's the thing though: The Lord isn't satisfied with "sort of". He didn't go to Martha's house to eat. I mean, He is the Son of God, and as evidenced by some loaves and fishes (Mark 8), He pretty much knows how to get food if He needs some. Jesus came to give the one thing that both Mary and Martha really needed - HIMSELF! Martha goes to Jesus asking Him to do something about her sister, when in reality, He wants to do a work in her! He wants to change her thinking, her heart, her PRIORITIES! He wants her to rest with and in Him!
I bet that when Jesus comes back to Martha's home after he raises her brother, Lazarus, from the dead, Martha has had a change of heart. I bet she doesn't stress over the small details that don't really matter in the end. I bet she has surrendered those things to Him. We know that she does serve when Jesus comes back to stay with her (John 12:2), but I'm willing to bet that it is not in the same frantic overwhelmed way and that she does not fuss at her sister about it.
The world does need Marthas - there are certain things that we just must do to keep ourselves and our families afloat. It is all about priorities, though, and our quality time spent with The Lord and with each other is so much more important!
I hope this has been helpful to you in some way.  It has certainly been useful for me and it is challenging me to evaluate my priorities and work to simplify this crazy overwhelmed life that I am running around doing right now.
Until later................hopefully not 7 months later.....................
(((HUGS)))

No comments:

Post a Comment